Fever, runny nose, sore tonsil. -ve strep test. How can child get cured & fever go down?

ENT Specialist
child 3 years oldDear doctor

My son has fever from monday evening , he has running nose, sores on the tonsils.
we have been in the doctor he did strep a
test that was negative.
the doctors said that its viral illness.

the fever is around 38.5-39.5c
how long it may take untill the fever will go down and he will feel better?

Posted Tue, 22 May 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Naveen Kumar 2 hours later

Thanks for the query

Viral infection or flu is the early stage of any fever, nasal congestion, throat discomfort, headache body ache, etc. With supportive treatment the symptoms will resolve by itself. But, if it is super-added with bacterial infection then it will require antibiotics to control the infection.

Do not worry; the following measures can help in resolving the infection faster.
1. Encourage your child to drink plenty of warm water, to keep in hydrated.
2. Use saline nasal spray to reduce the nasal congestion and keep the nasal mucosa moist.
3. Antipyretics such as paracetamol given in appropriate doses will help in reducing the fever and sore throat.
4. A decongestant in the form of pseudoephedrine can be used to control running nose and nasal congestion.
5. Avoid cold food and chilled beverages.

If the infection does not settle down with the above medications, then your child will require antibiotics in addition to the above medications.

Hope I have answered your query; I will be available for the follow-up queries.

Dr. Naveen Kumar N.
ENT and Head & Neck Surgeon