Fever, runny nose, sore throat and heavy headed. Took cetrizine. What am I suffering from?

ENT Specialist
started with a cold i.e. a running nose and heavy head four days back...last two days have a bad sore throat as well...slightly feverish, fatigued and mildly painful swallowing even saliva...only taken cetrizine today and warm water gargling with salt...throat still hurts will slightly improved other cold symptoms
Posted Sat, 9 Feb 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Naveen Kumar 11 minutes later

Thanks for the query

After going through your description I do feel you are suffering from acute sinusitis and pharyngitis.

During nasal congestion, because of which there will be blockage of the sinus opening leading to stagnation of the secretions in the sinus and increased viscosity. Stagnation of the secretions gives rise to headache and nasal infection. When the infected secretions trickle down into the throat it can cause irritation of the throat, followed by cough and difficulty in swallowing.

When the infection is acute there will be associated fever, headache, cough, throat pain, difficulty in breathing, etc.

Cetrizine will worsen the symptoms at this stage, hence avoid taking it.

You can try the following:
1. Drink plenty of warm water – this helps in improving the blood circulation, keeping the mucosa moist and relief from pain.
2. An antibiotic such as a combination of amoxicillin and clavulanic acid or cefuroxime for 10days.
3. An anti-inflammatory medicines such as diclofenac or ibuprofen for the relief of pain.
4. Use saline nasal spray followed by steam inhalation 3-4 times a day - this helps in removing the thick secretions from the sinuses and thus reduces the nasal block.
5. A mucolytic such as bromhexine or ambroxol – this reduces the viscosity of the sinus secretions and thus relieves the sinus pressure and cough.
6. Avoid smoking/chilled food & beverages/alcohol/coffee till you recover.

Do not worry! With the above measures you will definitely be alright.

Hope I have answered your queries; I will be available for the follow-up queries.

Dr. Naveen Kumar N.
ENT and Head & Neck Surgeon
Follow-up: Fever, runny nose, sore throat and heavy headed. Took cetrizine. What am I suffering from? 15 minutes later
thanks doc

did you mean the antibiotic be a combination of amoxicillin and cefuroxime or cefuroxime in itself ? also recommended dosage please (mg per day)?

similary recommended dosage of ibuprofen?

are any of the medicines sleep inducing?

regards... XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Naveen Kumar 10 hours later

Welcome back

The antibiotic cefuroxime is a single drug, whereas amoxycillin and clavulanic acid is a combination drug. You can try either of them.

Secondly, according to online consultation rules, I am not supposed to prescribe the strength and drug dosage, please excuse me.

None of the medicines will induce sleep.

I wish u good luck and good health.

Dr. Naveen Kumar N.
ENT and Head & Neck Surgeon
Follow-up: Fever, runny nose, sore throat and heavy headed. Took cetrizine. What am I suffering from? 33 hours later
hello doc

stayed on amoxycillin and clavulanic acid combination and ibuprofen for two days now with ambroxol and plenty of lozenges...

there is little to no improvement to show for it... nose still runs slightly, slight heaviness of the head, feel colder than people around me(used to be reverse earlier) and to top it all my throat is as miserable as ever...swallowing liquids or even my own saliva was never such a only gets alleviated partially for 3-4 hrs after the ibuprofen but is then back with a bang...

situation at work doesn't permit an off for a while...

MY QUESTION:- should i alongside also have sinarest to help control my sinusitis which i feel is the root cause of it all and not being controlled?
Answered by Dr. Naveen Kumar 58 minutes later

Welcome back

Please be patient enough, the infection will reduce soon. Sinarest will help in reducing the watery secretions but at the same time it will worsen your sinusitis and throat pain by drying up the secretions.

Apart from taking medicines you will have to drink plenty of warm water and do steam inhalation. Also, you need to use saline nasal spray. Saline nasal spray and steam inhalation will decongest the nasal mucosa and open up the nasal cavity and sinuses, thus reducing the headache.

Drink plenty of warm water, this will help in reducing the throat pain. Instead of sinarest you can try taking fexofenadine once in the night. This will reduce the allergic episode and watery discharge.

Do not loose heart, you will definitely be alright with the above procedures.

Dr. Naveen Kumar N.
ENT and Head & Neck Surgeon