Fever, no appetite, headache, vomiting after eating packaged sandwich. Is this normal?

I had gotten sick about 15 minutes after eating a packaged sandwich at a convenience store. Since then I have had a fever ranging between 101-103F every night. The fever breaks every morning and aside from having no appetite and a constant headache, the fever seems to be the only symptom. It's been 4 days and I wonder if this is normal or if I should see a medical professional (In person).
Posted Fri, 4 May 2012 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 2 hours later

Thanks for posting this query.

The symptoms that you report – fever; headache and reduced appetite seem related to an infection and not food poisoning.

Since you felt the symptoms immediately within 15 minutes after a packaged sandwich, it is less likely to be related to sandwich; as minimum time of incubation period is atleast 4-6 hours (symptoms of infection start after incubation period).

You have need medical attention at the earliest. A detailed physical examination and relevant blood test such as complete blood counts, urine routine and cultures are warranted.

Hope this answers your query. Let me know if I have missed out any of your concerns.
Do accept the answer if you do not have any further queries.

Wish you speedy recovery.