Fever, night sweat, nausea, fatigue, weight loss, back pain, done blood work, MRI, X-ray, history of neurological symptoms

It's been an 8-week long journey....8 weeks ago, I awoke in the middle of the night with intense chills and low-grade fever. I dealt with that, fatigue and body aches for over a week following and was able to feel somewhat better with rest and OTC meds. The symptoms evolved into neurological ones: facial/ear pain, blurred vision, numbess/tingling in extremities and fatigue. The Doctor ordered a brain MRI and 3-D cervical neck x-ray. The x-ray was normal and the MRI showed "non-specific changes". These symptoms somewhat lessened for 1 week until 4 days ago when I awoke with fever/chills. Add to that night sweats, nausea (in spite of being intensely hungry) and the return of fatigue. I've lost 4 pounds over the past 8 weeks. The doctor has done repeated blood work, all which came back normal, as of yesterday. I am beyond frustrated and worried. I asked the doctor about lymphoma, but given my bloodwork results and physical exam, she deemed not worth pursuing at this point. I would like to stop worrying and have good questions for the specialists that I will see (allergist, neurologist, GI, opthamologist). Blood work done CB w/ diff, TSH, T4, CMP, ESR, sed rate, quatitative globulin, UA, XXXXXXX HCG all normal/negative

One additional symptom that I don't know to be related, I have low back pain when sitting a prolonged period or laying in certain positions. This also causes a pulling sensation at times, in my hips.
Posted Tue, 24 Apr 2012 in Infections
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 38 minutes later

Fever with chills, night sweats , nausea and fatigue recurring over past 4 weeks with all blood work normal sounds like most likely a 'benign type of viral syndrome'.

Viruses in the environment are common and when we are exposed to them they can sometimes trigger a constellation of symptoms including fatigue, lymph gland swelling, fever, nausea, back ache, etc. These types of viral syndromes typically last from as little as 3 days up to sometimes 4 to 6 weeks.

I would advise that you support your body with good hydration, adequate sleep, a well-balanced diet and a moderate exercise regimen. Exercise is actually good for the immune system which is why I suggest it here. In addition you can supplement your diet with some Vitamin C - 1000 mg daily and consider drinking some immune boost type of tea such as Echinacea which is readily available at most supermarkets.

I expect your symptoms to gradually level off and improve over the next week or two. In the meantime, try not to worry about this and focus on maintaining good health as I have recommended with diet, fluid intake and exercise as well as adequate sleep (7-9 hours per night).

I hope my answer and recommendations are adequate and helpful. Waiting for your further follow up queries if any.