Fever, headache,mouth sores, difficulty in swallowing. Taking motrin. Treatment?

ENT Specialist
I I have the flu, headache,aches ,fever and mouth and tongue sores and difficulty swallowing particularly hot or cold food and drink. It feels like a reflux in the middle of my chest. I take motrin around the clock. Fever is waning. Feeling better. Big issue are swallowing as described and mouth and tongue sores
Posted Thu, 26 Apr 2012 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Naveen Kumar 1 hour later

Thanks for the query

The oral cavity sores also known as aphthous ulcers or canker sore could be due to various causes such as viral fever itself, medicines such as Motrin, stress, the acid reflux and reduction of immunity in the body.

You should seek prompt medical care and talk with your medical professional about your symptoms.

I would suggest you to stop Motrin and switch over to plain Paracetamol 650mg, drink plenty of warm water, do steam inhalation 2-3 times per day, as well as consume plenty of fresh fruits and vegetables to improve the immunity and reduction of the sores.

Vitamin B-complex and local application of Bonjela cream can help reduce the oral cavity sores. Also, you can try taking Proton pump inhibitors (such as Pantoperazole or Esomeprazole) for the control of acidity and reflux of the gastric contents.

Hope I have answered your query; I will be available for the follow-up queries.

Dr. Naveen Kumar N.
ENT and Head & Neck Surgeon