Fever, excessive sweating, sneezing and nausea. History of pneumonia. Advice?

Orthopaedic Surgeon

I am 25, female, 54kg, 5ft 6inch. No sever medical history, had pneumonia years ago.

A few days a go I started to get poorly, in the night I developed a fever, with sever sweating which lasted 3 days, very lethargic, off food, hot and cold sweats which changed rapidly, very sore/ achey spine, achy muscles, chesty cough, constant sneezing. symptoms would ease in the day and worsten at night. Today I have no fever but a raised temperature, I have no energy, my body/ muscles aches all over, my ears ache. I feel nausea when i stand or bend over and I have a sever pressure in my left eye, temple and cheek bone, it hurts to blink, like ive been punched in the face.
Posted Mon, 7 May 2012 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 4 hours later

Your symptoms are suggestive of a generalized viral illness.

You can start with tablet Ibuprofen (Advil or Motrin) 400mg, one tablet after breakfast and dinner for three days for the pain.

These types of viral syndromes typically last from as little as 3 days up to sometimes 4 to 6 weeks. I would advise that you support your body with good hydration, adequate sleep (7-9 hours per night), a well-balanced diet and a moderate exercise regimen. Exercise is actually good for the immune system which is why I suggest it here. In addition you can supplement your diet with some Vitamin C - 1000 mg daily and consider drinking some immune boost type of tea such as Echinacea which is readily available at most supermarkets.

I expect your symptoms to gradually level off and improve over the next week or two. In the event that this does not occur, I suggest you visit with your primary physician for a complete physical examination and possibly some blood work as well.

I hope this answers your query effectively. In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.

Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.