Fever, cough, malaise, x-ray showed lung effusion. Is it safe to Isoniazid because I am epileptic?

General Surgeon
sir i am 25 year old male and medical student. i had epileptic episodes 7-8 years back and since then i am regularly taking antiepileptic drug( sodium valproate) till today. now due to my postings in TB wards i got exposed to TB and since 1 month i had fever,cough,malaise etc. i got chest xray done in that a little effusion was there in basal part of left lung so my doctor suggested to start anti tubercular drugs (akurit 4). sir since i read pharmacology i am afraid to take anti tubercular drugs like ISONIAZID AND ETHAMBUTOL coz in books it is given that they may precipitate convulsions. please advise is it safe to take them eventhough i am diagnosed as epileptics (GTC) and on anti epileptic drugs..
Posted Wed, 11 Apr 2012 in Lung and Chest disorders
Answered by Dr. Swapnendu Sekhar Ghosh 12 hours later
I understand your concern.
Both isonizaid and ethambutol rarely cause convulsions at the conventional dosage, per se. Isoniazid inhibits the metabolism of several anti-epileptic drugs and a dose adjustment might be necessary. Please speak to your treating physician about this. However, if you have been taking medication for 7-8 yrs and are convulsion free by this time, there is little reason to worry about these drugs precipitating seizures.
I strongly urge to complete your anti-tubercular treatment and take the complete course for 6-9 months.
I hope I have answered your query.