Fever, cold, vomiting in clild. Taken neurophen and panadol. Is this due to drug adverse event?

ENT Specialist
My daughter is 2 1/2. She has had a temperature if 40.3, extremely hot, thick cold and vomiting. She has had neurophen and panadol. Ask neurophen wire off more throwing up and spiked temperature again. What could this be?
Posted Fri, 6 Jul 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Naveen Kumar 1 hour later

Thanks for the query

High fever, cold and vomiting are the signs of bacterial infection can supersede a viral infection, which should be treated with antibiotics.

The vomiting is because of the thick mucus discharge coming from the nose into the throat, which usually gets stuck in the throat and the child will not be able to bring it out.

Do not worry! It seems to be an ordinary infection. Please do follow the suggestions mentioned below.
1. Give plenty of warm water for the child to drink.
2. Use saline nasal spray for the nose 3-4 times a day; this will reduce the nasal secretions and cold.
3. Give paracetamol syrup for the fever, at least 4 times a day.
4. A mucolytic (such as bromhexine or ambroxol) for reducing the secretions from the nose.
5. Tepid sponging should be done when the fever is noticed.
6. If the symptoms do not reduce within a couple of days please do consult your doctor.

Hope I have answered your query; I will be available for the follow-up queries.

Dr. Naveen Kumar N.
ENT and Head & Neck Surgeon