Fever, body pain, headache and sore throat. Unprotected sex. Are these symptoms of HIV?

I had a mild flu which was improving. I had unprotected sex 4 days ago. 2 days after which i got fever, body pains, headache, a sore throat and the flu got worse. Can this be a symptom of HIV. or is 2 days after sex too soon for hiv symptoms to show?
Posted Tue, 17 Apr 2012 in HIV and AIDS
Answered by Dr. Rohit Batra 2 hours later

HIV is a very rapidly replicating virus but the symptoms are seen only the after the seroconversion takes place i.i antigen starts binding with the antibody, which usually take around 2 - 3 weeks.

In your case the symptoms were too early to stamp them as a part of HIV infection.
To be on the safer side., I would recommend that you can go for a p24 antigen detection test.

Hope I have answered your query. Do write back to me if you have further questions.

Wishing you speedy recovery.

Dr. Rohit
Follow-up: Fever, body pain, headache and sore throat. Unprotected sex. Are these symptoms of HIV? 28 minutes later
So this can just be a regular flu?

Is 2 days too early for any connection with HIV? Or is it possible?
Answered by Dr. Rohit Batra 12 hours later

Yes, 2 days is too early for the virus to show its symptoms.

The symptoms are most likely because of the normal flu which you were having before the encounter.

To be on the safer side, I would request you to get a p24 antigen test or a screening test done after 8 weeks.

Dr. Rohit Batra