Fever and vomiting after laparoscopic surgery for ovarian cyst in a 14 year old. CT scan report, blood test and X-ray normal

Infertility Specialist
my 14 year old daughter had laproscopic surgery on 01/02/12 to drain a large ovarian cyst(9.2 cm x 7xm) shortly after surgery she starting feeling nauseated and that has been a constant thing since the surgery never gets any better but without vomiting two weeks ago she starting running a low grade fever around 100-101 F that has been constant for the last two weeks she had a ct shortly after surgery an abdominal xray, an upper gi an ultrasound of kidney and bladder and just yesterday an mri of brain nothing was found on any of these tests she has had blood work for h pylori, gall bladder and lots of vitamin deficiencies all tests come back negative what could this be
Posted Sun, 29 Apr 2012 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Mahesh Koregol 54 minutes later

The symptoms what you describe could be due to 2 possibilities:

1) Post operative Infection: The onset of these sylptoms after surgery is due to post operative infection. Infection might have occurred during laparoscopy or after that.

2) Operative complication: Any injury to bowels might have caused these symptoms. Injury is less likely out because all relevant investigations have been done to check for injury and other associated complications and are negative.

Hence I believe, the symptoms you are describing are due to postoperative infection. This leads to inflammation of XXXXXXX organs and cause these symptoms.

I advise you to visit a physician and get blood test (including blood culture) to check the infection & causative organisms. You can take medicines based on the blood culture reports.

I hope I answered your query. I would be glad to answer if any more queries.

With Regards,