Fever and bone pain after breaking pubic bone. Any ideas? Have osteoporosis

My mother (83 years old) fell and broke her pubic bone. A few months after, she has developed a constant low grade fever, bone pain all over (mostly at the end of the day). No one an seem to find an answe to her fever. Any ideas? She does have severe osteoporosis and nees a hip replacement. But, she was in good health before her fracture. There were some elevated signs of Leukemia, but they have decreased. Could these symptoms be cause by the bone fracture?
Posted Fri, 7 Sep 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 4 hours later
Fracture of pubic bone is not likely to cause the low grade fever she is having.
Constant bone pain is commonly associated with severe osteoporosis which usually improves on taking mild pain killers, calcium and Vitamin D3 supplements.
Prolonged fever for more than 3 weeks without a specefic usual cause is termed as pyrexia of unknown origin (PUO).
PUOs are caused by infections (30-40%), neoplasms (20-30%), collagen vascular diseases (10-20%), and numerous miscellaneous diseases (15-20%).
The exact cause can only be established after extensive diagnostic evaluation by her doctors. An autoimmune collagen vascular disease is likely in her case.
Please do consult her physician for a proper evaluation so that a specific treatment can be initiated early.
Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.