Fever after childbirth. Taking Keflex. Antibiotics needed?

Wife delivered baby five days ago. Now has fever and chills. Earlier this afternoon called Doctor and she was prescribed Keflex. Temp at the time was 101.7, now 102.5. Should she seek medical attention or continue with the antibiotic?
Posted Sun, 29 Apr 2012 in Child Birth
Answered by Dr. Prasad 2 hours later

I understand you are worried in view of high grade fever.

Fever is one of the common symptoms in a new born baby. It is probably secondary to infection. I agree with your doctor, that antibiotic is needed for the child's recovery. I would like to know if your doctor has prescribed her some fever medications also?

Your child needs some fever medication such as paracetamol syrups to reduce temperature. Discuss with your pediatrician to prescribe her this syrup. XXXXXXX warm water sponges can be tried in the meantime to control fever. Avoid using cold water / ice during sponging.

It would be wise to seek medical attention if temperature persists to be high. Kindly consult a pediatrician for a thorough physical examination as early as possible.

Hope I have answered your query. Should you have any additional concerns with regards to my recommendations, I will be available to address them.

Wish your child a speedy recovery.

Follow-up: Fever after childbirth. Taking Keflex. Antibiotics needed? 19 minutes later
I should have been more clear. It is my wife who has the fever and chills, not our newborn. My wife was prescribed Vicodin and ibuprofen when she discharged from the hospital 24 hours after the baby was born. She was also given a Tdap booster immunization. Last night she called the doctor about her temperature and was prescribed Keflex. She took her first dose along with her other prescriptions right after the Keflex prescription was filled. Sequential doses prescribed every six hours. About three to four hours after taking the first dose, her temperature was still going up. Called the doctor again and waiting to hear back but was wondering if the doctor thinks this may be an infection, what more can be done if my wife goes to the hospital in addition to taking her antibiotics?
Answered by Dr. Prasad 2 hours later
Hi again,

The details given on the follow up query, clarify lot of issues. I shall provide you with information that should be useful and helpful to you.

Your wife has developed fever with chills on the background of recent delivery and vaccination.

Based on the history provided the cause of fever and chills are

1. Vaccine induced fever and chills - It is common to find people suffer from fever and chills post vaccination. They usually subside in a day or two without medication.

2. Infection - genital infection are the likely cause. Kerflex (cephelexin) use is effective in treating this infection. It would however take 2-3 days to control the infection. Continue using them as prescribed by your doctor.

In addition to the above medication, Paracetamol in the dose of 1gm taken over 4-6 hours can be taken to control body temperature. As mentioned in my earlier reply you can also try sponging (rubbing forehead / axilla) with XXXXXXX warm water.

Apart from this, consuming plenty of water, plenty of fruits and vegetables and rest is recommended for faster and healthier recovery.

Considering it is your wife who is suffering from fever and NOT your child, the urgency to seek medical attention is lower. You may try the following suggestions to see if her symptoms improve. The symptoms should resolve in 2-3 days. You can consult your physician / gynecologist if the symptoms persist.

I hope I have provided you with sufficient information helpful to you. Should you have any additional concerns, I am available to answer them.

Wish you good health and speedy recovery of your wife.