Fever, abdomen pain, intestinal bacteria, WBC low. Cause?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Hello,this is the first time i use this site. I feel very lucky that all of my blood relatives are all still alive until now. Last wednesday my nephew went to work in a local grocery store after mid-day he had stomack pains and fever his boss told him to go to hospital. He past away during the night. They said that his white blood cells were extremly low and this caused a intestinal bacteria which became a type of muscle eating virus or bacteria they could not do anything for him. my question is can a 23 year old get this and is it possible he was infected while he was handling fruits and vegetables in the grocery store were he works(bacteria, insect bite etc)
Posted Fri, 20 Apr 2012 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Aashish Raghu 22 minutes later

Firstly, I am very sorry for your nephew.

Did your nephew suffer from any sort of blood disease?

Did he sustain any trauma or wound to any part of the body?

There could be many reasons why the blood cell count was low. It can be blood cancer, aplastic anaemia, Febrile neutropaenia and various other causes.

Usually when white cells become low, the body cannot fight against infections and this can cause very severe infections which can be life threatening. Due to less immunity, even intestinal bacteria can cause severe sepsis and death.

Clostridium perfringens is a type of intestinal bacteria which can cause food poisoning and also eat muscle cells and cause gas gangrene and death.

It is possible if he ate the contaminated food 8-16 hours before he got the disease.

It could be prevented by proper cooking of food before eating and also proper handwashing procedure.

Follow proper handwashing procedure. Eat healthy. Do discuss with his Doctor about the seriousness of his condition and different ways to prevent such thing from happening again.

I hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer your follow up queries.

Follow-up: Fever, abdomen pain, intestinal bacteria, WBC low. Cause? 38 minutes later
Hi he did not any blood disease,trauma or wound. The doctor explained that his faith was sealed as soon as he entered the hospital. he was experiencing pain to the touch and the doctor said that his leg,back and bum muscles were attacked. The doctors took samples of his infection for research and they did say it was contagious.???
Answered by Dr. Aashish Raghu 8 minutes later

Thanks for writing back.

Such presentation could be gas gangrene or necrotising fascitis which is caused by certain injury to the skin which is where the bacteria has entered.

Main treatment will be thorough wound cleaning and wound debridement.
Usually oxygen treatment and antibiotic treatment will also help.

Damaged muscle sample can be tested to find the bacteria.

Such bacteria can be found in soil, faeces. It spreads from soil contamination on wound in many cases.