Fever, EBV positive, runny nose, seizure, eczema. Cause?

My 3 year old son has had frequent fevers since he was born, every three months or so. In April this year, he had a fever for 2 weeks and eventually tested positive for EBV. Since then he gets high fevers every 2 weeks with no other symptoms except a slight runny nose. I should also mention in case it is significant, that when he was born he experienced frequent seizures that were diagnosed as a problem absorbing calcium. This conditon went away around 6 months old. Also has chronic eczema. Do you think the fevers are now from the EBV, or should I consider a periodic fever condition? Pediatrician always says virus, virus, virus. But we are tired, tired, tired. I need to know should he have his tonsils and adnoids out? Be on a steroid or something else? Should I request a specialist?
Posted Thu, 3 May 2012 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Radhika 2 hours later

Thanks for your query,

The seizures he had as a child is probably Tetany, which occurs due to Calcium and Vitamin D deficiency. Since it has stopped no need to worry. For his eczema he needs to get evaluated by a Skin Specialist.

Since he has been diagnosed with EBV he will show symptoms of sore throat, swollen glands, fever. Children are more prone to developing rashes, abdominal pain, cough and runny nose. So there is no need to worry.

Symptoms generally last for between a week and a month although it can recur when the body is run down or under stress.
EBV is spread via saliva, often through kissing. For children the likely mode of transmission is the sharing of drinks, eating utensils, toys, towels etc.

Conventional treatment in children.
Rest, plenty of fluids plus painkillers to relieve fever and pain are usually prescribed. If there is extensive swelling of the throat or glands which compromise breathing then steroids may be given. But too much of steroids will suppress his immunity. There is no need to remove his tonsils or adenoids at this stage.

Natural treatment in children;

1.Tepid sponge baths and lots of fluids.
2.Nutrients to fight the virus and build immunity in children include vitamin C, beta carotene, zinc, magnesium and the B complex.
3.Opt for meals like soups, broths, freshly squeezed juices, and fruit. Protein foods like eggs, chicken, fish, lean red meat and cheese in their diet.

Since you are concerned it could be something else ,you can do a few other tests to rule out other concurrent causes for his fever like,
Complete blood counts, ESR and peripheral smear examination for parasites and abnormal cells.
Microscopic examination and culture of urine.
Blood chemistries including renal and liver function tests.
Serological tests including ASO titre, viral antibody titres, XXXXXXX Bunnell test, and brucella agglutination test.

Chest X-ray, Ultrasonography of Abdomen and Pelvis.
Lymph node biopsy.

You can do these tests under the guidance of a Physician.

Hope I have answered your queries, I will be available for follow up.
Follow-up: Fever, EBV positive, runny nose, seizure, eczema. Cause? 4 hours later
He had a comlete blood count. It showed low white blood cells and red blood cells. This was about 2 weeks after the diagnosis of EBV which was two months ago. Also, do you believe that the EBV diagnosis could be causing fevers every couple of weeks? Its not an ongoing illness. Between fevers he seems healthy. Thank you for your help so much.
Answered by Dr. Radhika 39 minutes later

Thanks for the query,

Epstein Barr virus can sometimes turn chronic and can be seen for 6 months or so.
But you have mentioned that he gets fever every 3 months since birth. His white blood and red blood cells are also low.

The serologic test in EBV will usually show normal to moderately elevated white blood cell count, an increased total number of lymphocytes, greater than 10% atypical lymphocytes, and a positive reaction to a "mono spot" test.

So, white cell count and red cell count are usually are low when the person suffers from infection and anemia and other causes. This is caused by low immunity. But you will have to get evaluated by a Pediatrician to rule out other causes.

Hope my answer is adequate.