Felt uncomfortable in cheek after cleaning ear wax. No blocked nose or mucus. Sinus pressure?

ENT Specialist
Question
I had my left ear cleaned of wax and after I felt an slightly uncomfortable sensation in my cheek ,jaw
It's been on and off for a few days now. He checked again a couple of days ago and said there was no infection in the ear. Could this just be sinus pressure? with the weather change?/ But I have no blocked nose or mucus or any sinus signs
Posted Thu, 14 Feb 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems

Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 2 hours later

Thank you for your query.

1. The sensation in your cheek and jaw after getting your ear cleaned is most likely a 'referred' sensation form the same nerves that supply sensation to the ear.

2. Since the external ear canal is 's'shaped (not straight) and is lined by extremely thin and delicate skin, it is easily scratched while cleaning even with the utmost care and even under the magnification of a microscope. The slightest of movement can damage the ear canal skin. Minor abrasions are not visible to the eye.

3. Healing takes place quickly due to a XXXXXXX blood supply in the proximity of the brain. You may avoid any treatment and observe if this sensation subsides in a couple of days.

4. If it persists, you may take a mild painkiller and get your nose, sinuses, teeth and jaw joint checked. Referred sensations may also arise from many other structures in the head, oral cavity, throat, neck, chest (heart) and even upper abdomen (stomach).

I hope that I have answered your queries. If you have any further questions, I will be available to answer them.

Regards.

Follow-up: Felt uncomfortable in cheek after cleaning ear wax. No blocked nose or mucus. Sinus pressure? 22 hours later
THANK YOU
I was worried that the microscopic hairs that are essentail to hearing might have been damaged with the ear cleaning... I still have some slight stiffness from the top of my head down to my cheek. Could this be a sinus? there is no stuffed nose or phlem.If I hold my nose and blow there is a popping sensation and slight dizziness.
Could this general sensation be caused by air pressure changes as it has become much colder recently and it started after a walk?

Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 1 hour later

Thank you for writing back.

1. There is no cause for worry. The microscopic hairs are far inside the inner ear and cannot be damaged by ear cleaning.

2. Without any major symptoms even if there is a mild sinusitis, it will subside with steam inhalation and medication. There is no way to look directly into the sinuses. A CT Scan is not advisable. Regular steam inhalation will also help improve dizziness. Ear tests such as Tympanometry (Impedance Audiometry) can pick up any ETD.

3. The sensation may be due to atmospheric pressure changes. However simple medication can overcome this. I would first advise only regular steam inhalation. If there still are some residual symptoms, an anti-allergic decongestant and a steroid nasal spray may give long term relief.

Regards.