Felt swollen and tender scalp. Could it be malignant tumor?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Hi, yesterday my right back side of the scalp felt a bit tender and swollen (as if there was going to be a zit or as if there was a bruise); today I woke up and it seems to have extended to the left side, with the swelling seemingly more apparent on the right side. I can actually kind of outline where the swelling is on the right side... (comparing to left side). The swelling starts right above the hairline near my right side of the neck, goes upward toward the mid-line of the head and ends up near the height of the middle of the ear.. however it is 1-2 finger width away from my actual ear. Thanks for the help...
It happened all of the sudden so I don't think it would be a malignant tumor, but I'm worried because the size of the bump has gotten significantly bigger than yesterday. I'm 24yr old female.
Posted Wed, 5 Dec 2012 in Cancer
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 5 hours later
From your description, the swelling on your scalp seems to be due to an infection or a hematoma formation. Most of the times such swellings are painful.
A direct examination of the area is necessary to detect the type of swelling you are having. It is not likely to be a malignant swelling as it has appeared all of a sudden and skin or subcutaneous swellings do not grow so fast.
Please do not worry and do a hot fomentation in the area to help with the pain.
I encourage you to consult your physician for a direct examination and proper treatment.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.