Felt soreness on toe and noticed change in nail color. Underlying cause?

ENT Specialist
hi my right big toe has felt sore for a few days now.and has gone like a purple black colour not all over but below and by the one side close to my nail .i can.t remember bashing it at home or at work so i.m not sure still feels sore though the nail does.nt look like it.s in grown either?
Posted Sat, 13 Apr 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. A.K. Srivastava 46 minutes later

Thanks for writing to H.C.M. for your query.

I have gone through your query regarding soreness felt on right big toe, later you obsere that the color on one side of nail gets changed to purple black and feeling of soreness is not so.

Considering your complaints it appears as blood supply is much compromised or ischemia is there and signs of gangreen are there.

You should do these investigations-

(a) Blood - CBC, ESR, blood sugar -F. & P.P., Lipid profile.

(b) Color Dopplers study of foot.

Beside this thorough examination of lower limb including sensory and motor supply of nervous system, and try to find out any anaesthetic patch on limb, than only diagnosis can be made for proper treatment.

Till the above formalities are carried out you may take -

(a) Antibiotic- Broad spectrum covering gram positive & negative and anaerobes also.

(b) Anti inflammatory.

(c) Vasodialators like Cyclospasmol.

(d) Keep the foot clean and dry.

As soon as the investigations reports are available there is need for clinical co-relation of the same to reach to correct tract for treatment.