Felt something stung behind knee. Started getting sharp pain. Could this be a pinched nerve?

Start happening Sunday night when walking into a friends house. It felt like something stung or bit me on the back of my right leg behind the knee. I had a light work out that moning but nothing crazy.

When i walk around it seems fine but if the knee is bent and I go to get up up walk to fast I get the sharp pain again. I can some times stand still and just staighten my leg and i get the sting pain feeling. It was fine all day today had it happen once a t the gym. When I got to work seems to happen more often. I thought it might be a pinched nerve or something.
Posted Fri, 15 Mar 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Ganesh Sanap 2 hours later
Hi, welcome and thanks for writing in.
It is nerve pinching . Because there is no nerve which passes between bone to get pinch. It looks like a meniscus problem. If you are doing workout using lower limb there is chance of meniscal tear.
It causes symptoms only in some position . In rest of positions movements are normal. I will suggest please consult your orthopaedician for detailed clinical examination. Few investigation like MRI knee joint may be needed, however it's decision is depends on clinical examination.

Hope I have answered your query. If you have further concern, please let me know.

Follow-up: Felt something stung behind knee. Started getting sharp pain. Could this be a pinched nerve? 9 minutes later
The thing is it doesnt feel like a meniscus tear. I had one in my left knee few years ago. Its a pain that is in the uper part of my caf. It starts where the crease in the back of your leg is and kind of shoots down my leg about a inch or two. It only happens when I extend my leg never when I am bending in or sitting down.
Answered by Dr. Ganesh Sanap 1 hour later
Hi, welcome back.
There is common peroneal nerve which may get pinch between muscles behind knee. But it will cause foot drop as a primary sign. Second thing extensor muscles of knee are located in thigh region. These muscles don't have insertion behind knee. So it is less likely that pain during extension is primarily due to extensor group of muscles.
The cause of pain must be in knee itself. If you are not feeling like a meniscus damage. Then it can be minor ligament injury. Another possibility is referred pain from hip joint. It may associated with pathology in hip joint causing reffered pain to knee.

I think you need to get evaluated by orthopaedician specifically.

If you have further concern please let me know.