Felt something inside throat. Took prilosec and clindamycin. Got sore throat. Any ideas?

ENT Specialist
Hello, I have felt as if something is in the left side of my throat for three months. Went t one ent, who did a scope and said all was well adn to take Prilosec. It didn't work. Then another ent saw nothing with another scope but gave me clindamycin, whihc also did nto work. Occasionally, abotu four times in the past three months, I get a sore throat adn always have mucous, but then the sore throat goes away adn the marble feeling is still there. Any ideas? Thanks
Posted Wed, 3 Apr 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. A.K. Srivastava 35 minutes later

Thanks for writing to H.C.M. for your query.

I have gone through your clinical history and the treatment you had taken and considering all aspect of your complaints it is clear that you have chronic pharyngitis may be associated with chronic tonsillitis.Usually marble feeling in throat occurs when chronically inflammed tonsils develops debris of infections as white plaques looks like pices of rice.

You have not tell about your nasal congestion, obstruction and discharge therefore I am considering as your nose and paranasal sinuses are O.K.

For systematic management of your problem you are advice for these investigations-
(1) Culture and sensitivity of throat swab.
(2) X-Ray chest in P.A.view.
(3) Blood - CBC, ESR, blood sugar - F. & P.P.
(4) Urine - Routine and Microscopic.

After this much work a tharough examination of nose and throat and co-relation with inferences of investigations will tell us about correct diagnosis.than you should take antibiotic according to culture report of throat swab to get maximum positive results.Along with antibiotic you should also take anti inflammatory, decongestant syrups and warm saline gargling.
Follow-up: Felt something inside throat. Took prilosec and clindamycin. Got sore throat. Any ideas? 7 minutes later
Thank you. I have had no nasal or chest issues. It appears that the antibiotics do not work. I have an appointment with an ENT tomorrow. Will this go away?
Answered by Dr. A.K. Srivastava 24 minutes later

Thanks for writing back to us about clarification.

I hope correct antibiotic for your case should be decided according to culture and sensitivity report.In this way you will be benifitted more.

I hope your tomorrow appointment with ENT specialist will be more informative and succesful.

With Regards.