Felt small lump on sternum between the breast area. Should I go for x-ray or mammogram?

Dermatologist
Question
Hi I have been feeling a small lump like a small coin size on my sternum between the breast area for the past few years probably....is it anything to be worried about. Do you recommend any x-ray or mammogram??
Posted Mon, 27 May 2013 in General Health

Answered by Dr. Rahul Kumar 18 minutes later
Hello thanks for the query,
It appears that you have developed a keloid.
Area between breasts is a common site for keloids.

It is a hard area of skin, and needs treatment with injectable steroids.
There is no need of x XXXXXXX or mammogram.

Please get the diagnosis confirmed by meeting a dermatologist or else you can upload a picture so I can give a closer diagnosis.

Let me know if you have any other doubt.

wishing you good health.

Thank you

Follow-up: Felt small lump on sternum between the breast area. Should I go for x-ray or mammogram? 13 minutes later

May be I forgot to mention. It is underneath the skin and not superficial. I can feel it when I press on it like a small lump (coin size). I feel its not freely movable. When I press on it hard or try to make circles with my fingers I feel slight pain for sometime.

Hello thanks for the follow up,
If it is below skin, it might be a matter of concern as it can be a lymphnode.
Please get an xray done.
Mammogram is needed only if there is any abnormality on xray.

Thank you

Follow-up: Felt small lump on sternum between the breast area. Should I go for x-ray or mammogram? 3 minutes later

Thanks for that. I do feel it is a matter of concern since I am also in medical field.

I will get back to Healthcare Magic with the reports once I get full diagnosis done.

Thanks

Answered by Dr. Rahul Kumar 32 minutes later
Hello XXXXXX, its great to know that you are from medical field.
I would eagerly wait for your reports and hope that everything turns out to be fine.
Thank you