Ask a Dentist   »  

Felt skin growth on inside of cheek. What is causing this and suggest cure?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
I woke up this morning with a slight discomfort on the inside of my cheek. I felt it with my tongue and it is smooth and slightly raised. It is a spot, right where my back teeth come together, that is only about 4 mm in diameter. I looked at it in the mirror, and can't figure out what it is....any suggestions? is white
Posted Sun, 13 Jan 2013 in Dental Health
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 7 hours later
From the description that you have given and the photograph attached, the most likely causes can be-
1. Oral thrush- fungal infection of mouth. May cover the whole palate and tongue and is recurrent.
2. Viral infection- usually caused by coxsackie virus. The area is painful and recurrence is common.
3. Aphthous ulcer due to an infection.
A careful examination is an integral part of diagnosis.
Till the time you XXXXXXX your dentist avoid smoking, use iodine mouth wash and listerine mouth wash to keep the area clean.
Avoid hot and spicy foods.
Use chlorhexidine mouth wash and avoid acid drinks, like fruit juices or fizzy drinks, or drink them through a straw so they don't irritate your mouth. Also avoid spicy food and sharp food and citrus fuits.

You can use topical ointments like numbing ointments, such as benzocaine (Oragel), anti-inflammatory (steroid) gels, benadryl allergy liquid mouthwash, oral preparations of steroids and vitamin supplement. Oral pain killers like Ibuprofen also help. But all these medicines are available under prescription and should be taken under a doctor’s guidance.

I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.