Felt sharp pain in chest and numbness in tongue while exercising. Symptoms of heart attack?

Jan 2013

Hi, while I was exercising I felt a sharp pain in my chest and numbness in my tongue. After that the tingling and numbness spreads in my left arm and fingers. My hands were cold as well so I took an Aspirin. Is this a symptom of heart attack? Sometimes I experience chest pains without even exercising.
Posted Thu, 10 Jan 2013 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Mayank Bhargava 30 minutes later
Welcome to XXXXXXX forum,

Let me know the site of chest pain (left sided or right sided) and tingling in left arm (whether inner or outer aspect).
Is there any pain radiation along with tingling & numbness in left arm?

Although left sided chest pain along with involvement of left arm suggest heart ailment but presence of numbness on tongue along with tingling & numbness in left arm is not in favor of heart disease.
Heart disease pain may radiate up to jaw angle, below ear, left shoulder and inner aspect of left arm.
Presence of mentioned symptoms after exercise may be due to compression of neuro-vascular (nerve & vascular) supply of left upper limb.
This may be due to presence of accessory first rib.

You should consult with XXXXXXX medicine specialist and should go for thorough check up.
You should go for electro-cardiography (ECG) for better clarification.
You should also go for x XXXXXXX chest (to rule out presence of accessory first rib) & x XXXXXXX cervical spine.
If ECG is found to be normal then you should take bed rest along with physiotherapy.
Hope that helps.
Let me know if I can address any more concerns.
Take care,
Dr. Mayank Bhargava
Follow-up: Felt sharp pain in chest and numbness in tongue while exercising. Symptoms of heart attack? 19 minutes later
Thanks for your response Dr. Bhargava. The chest pain starts from the center (or chest bone) of my chest and spreads to the left side.
Answered by Dr. Mayank Bhargava 7 hours later
Considering your age and site of chest pain, possibility of heart ailment appear to be least.
Chest pain in the centre of chest may be due to gastric problems.
You should go for chest x XXXXXXX and if acidic belching is present then you should go for endoscopy.
Take care,
Dr. Mayank Bhargava