Felt lumps on both sides of lower back, no pain. Been doing workout, boxing. What could it be?

My daughter is 18 years old. She has been doing gym/ workout/ weights/boxing etc. Yesterday she felt lumps on both sides of her lower back inside the skin on the sides of her spine. I was felt on both sides. no pain
I need the answer very soon. Please let me know
Posted Wed, 5 Jun 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Kalpana Pathak 1 hour later
These lumps could be lipoma, sebaceous cyst or epidermoid cyst. All these are benign lesions and require simple excision of the lesion.
If you are worried about any malignant tumor like spinal tumor then let me assure chances of having a malignant tumor without symptom of back pain, nerve compression etc is rare.
I would advise that you XXXXXXX a surgeon to get the lesion examined and removed if required.
Hope that helped.
With the malignant spinal tumor, can you feel the lumps on both sides?
Also I have lipomas too, is it hereditary? Can you feel the spinal tumor? its not on the spine , on the sides
Will that be a lymph node

Please let me know whether you can feel lymph node around there
Answered by Dr. Kalpana Pathak 23 hours later
Thanks for writing back.
There are chances that your daughter might be having lipoma as lipoma can be hereditary.
Lymph nodes are also found on posterior abdominal wall and can be felt on lower back.
Spinal tumors are tumors of spinal cord and can be felt on either side of spinal cord. But as I said these usually present with backache or nerve compression.

I believe probably your daughter is having some benign lesion like lipoma but it is always a wise choice to contact a surgeon as early as possible and get the lesions clinically examined so that the condition can be diagnosed and treated accordingly

Hope that helped. Take care.
Follow-up: Felt lumps on both sides of lower back, no pain. Been doing workout, boxing. What could it be? 8 minutes later
Hi Doctor, thanks . I am now worrying about Lymphoma etc. will that cause the swelling?
Answered by Dr. Kalpana Pathak 15 hours later
We cannot directly jump to lymphoma as a diagnosis. I can understand as a mother you might be worried about your daughter but you need not panick. A diagnosis of lymphoma requires clinical examination, blood work, FNAC and other diagnostic tests. As I said it might probably be a lipoma. Please consult a surgeon nearby as clinical history alone would not be enough to reach the probable diagnosis.