Felt lump in throat, lot of phlegm. Smokes pot, prescribed omeprazole, fluticasone propionate. Suggest?

My husband has felt a lump in his throat for about a month. He is also having a lot of phlegm that he coughs up.
He is 68, in excellent health. He smokes a little pot each day. He went to the doctor, who prescribed Omeprazole capsules and fluticasone propionate nasal spray.The doctor said if the lump is still there in a month, he'll send him to a throat specialist. I am concerned and want him to see a throat doctor asap. what is your recommendation?
Posted Sat, 21 Sep 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Kulsoom Qureshi 51 minutes later
Brief Answer:
He should have urgent evaluation

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for writing in.
If he has feeling of a lump alone & no definite physical or touchable lump then there may be a point in waiting & trying the prescribed treatment. Otherwise he should see a throat specialist as soon as possible. As, considering his history of smoking & old age he is at high risk of developing smoking related cancers.
You should also counsel him to get rid of this XXXXXXX habit, which is no doubt the route cause of many cardiovascular diseases & cancers.
Follow-up: Felt lump in throat, lot of phlegm. Smokes pot, prescribed omeprazole, fluticasone propionate. Suggest? 9 hours later
when you say "smoking", does this include pot?
I know about the danger of cigarettes.
My husband smokes a few puffs of pot each day.
Is your answer still the same?
Answered by Dr. Kulsoom Qureshi 15 hours later
Brief Answer:
Yes, my answer is the same.

Detailed Answer:
If I am not wrong, he smokes Marijuana pots. Although chances are much lesser than cigarettes but still this is an addiction which may increase the chances of cancer.
I don't want to scare you but only want to warn you that it is better to have an early evaluation.
Hope I am clear this time.
Best wishes.