Felt loss of sensation on leg. No problem when moving leg or walking. What am I suffering from?

Nov 2013

On my left leg(Portion above knee and below the middle of thigh) i am not able to feel the sense completely(not 100% but i can sense the touch but not accurately) as i can feel the sense on my right leg. But i don't noticed any problem with moving my leg or to walk or run. I usually carry a mobile in my left packet of pant which i am thinking might be a reason.

Is there any test which i can take up to understand why i have this problem? Is it a symptom for any disease which i am not able to guess?
Posted Tue, 7 May 2013 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 4 hours later

Thank you for posting your query.

Your are auffering from a problem of the nerve located in thigh region, called as lateral femoral cutaneous nerve (simply meaning the nerve on outer aspect of thigh skin).

This condition is called as MERALGIA PARESTHETICA.

In this condition, the common symptoms are numbness over the affected area, and sometimes tingling, pain or burning in the same area may occur.

The common underlying causes are mechanical pressure over the nerve and keeping the moble phone in the pocket could be a reason, as well as prolonged sitting position could also cause it.

You can do a nerve conduction test (NCV studies) to confirm the extent of probelm.

I hope it helps. Please get back if you have any more queries.

Best wishes,
Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM (Neurology) XXXXXXX Consultant Neurologist
Apollo Hospitals, Hyderabad