Felt hard and sore lump on thigh under skin. History of skin cancer. What is going on?

Apr 2013

General Surgeon
lump on left thigh under skini am a female 22 years old. i noticed about 2 months ago a lump on my left thigh under my skin. i only knew it was there because i was putting lotion on and it was tender to the touch. you cant tell anything from the outside skin, the lump very hard and sore. then last night i noticed it has gotten bigger with 2 other smaller hard lumps around it. at times my leg goes numb and gets pain throughout the leg. what is going on... i also had skin cancer when i was 20 melanoma but on my other leg, don't know if that has anything to do with it. thank you!
Posted Mon, 29 Apr 2013 in Cancer
Answered by Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein 1 hour later
Hello XXXXXX and welcome to XXXXXXX
It is hard to say without seeing it,could you attach some photo or describe this bit more? How tender is it? is it oval? Is it moveable under thes skin or fixed and are there signs of inflammation around it?
Most commonly lumps under the skin arent something to be worried about, but considering your medical history you should be more cautious and rule out something serious. If this is getting bigger as you say, you should do some diagnostic tests. First to say, it can be any kind of subcutaneous benign tumor, most commonly lipoma, fibroma, cysts, varicose veins or swollen lymph node, posttraumatic lesion,muscle rupture etc. Noninvasive method is ultrasound which can evaluate morphology. Also needle aspiration and biopsy can be done to verify the exact diagnosis. After this, if necessary, surgical removal can be performed in local anasthesia. Waiting for your reply. Wish you good health.
Follow-up: Felt hard and sore lump on thigh under skin. History of skin cancer. What is going on? 2 hours later
You can't tell from the outside of the skin, only when you feel it. it's very tender and stays in one spot. The lump is higher, but surrounding it it hard tissue and tender, and seems to be growing
Then it seems like this is in deep subcutaneous tissue or in muscle compartment. Considering this, it wouldnt be related to your melanoma. You should definitely do ultrasound to see its origin. It should tell you is it muscle tissue, fluid collections such as seroma or haematoma or this is more like conective tissue structure. Also pain and numbness can be resulting from nerve compression and this lump can do it as well, but you should also check your lumbar spine and hip joints because there can be sign of nerve compression as well. Vascular sufficiency can be checked by ultrasound too. If some pathology is found then more sophisticated tests such MRI can be performed which visualize nerves and mucles with more details. But go step by step and I am sure everything will be alright.