Felt cold, weak, numbness on lower back and losing control of legs. Could it be multiple sclerosis?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
in the past week ihave had 2 incidents of numbness coming from lower back down both legs as if i am fainting from th waist down. today i leaned over and this happened i lost control of both legs and sat down, i then felt cold and weak for sometime. What is happening? could it be ms? I am 69.
Posted Sun, 17 Feb 2013 in Multiple Sclerosis
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 3 hours later
The symptoms you are having are likely to be due to spondylottic changes in the spine which cause the spinal level.
These are age related degenerative changes in the spine and are progressive in nature. Your symptoms are not suggestive of multiple sclerosis.
Adequate bed rest and physical therapy are the mainstay of treatment.
Improvising your posture while sitting will be helpful in retarding the further progress of such changes.
For symptomatic treatment taking methylcobalamin supplements will be helpful.
Doing an MRI scan of the lumbo sacral spine will help in confirming the diagnosis.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.