Felt choking during sex. Feel like knot in adam's apple. Feel tired and gerd. Possible to overcome?

ENT Specialist
Question
I engaged in a one night stand on Friday night and the person I was with proceeded to choke me while in the act. We are both males, he was quite strong and it was not okay or at all enjoyable. Now it's two days later and I feel a little knot in my throat in the Adam's XXXXXXX area and feel tired and my recurring gerd is worse than ever. Is the worst possible outcome over after 48 hours? Could there still be sometching serious going on? Trying to decide whether I am just reacting to anxiety.
Posted Sun, 18 Aug 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems

Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 17 minutes later

Thank you for your query.

1. The worst should probably be over after 48 hours, however there are certain possibilities such as an XXXXXXX blood clot or a crush injury of the delicate cartilage framework of the voice box (larynx), or of the food pipe (esophagus) between the voice box and the spine (vertebral column).

2. Get a videolaryngoscopy done. if it is normal, there is no cause for worry. Healing XXXXXXX take some time. You XXXXXXX share the images here. Do you have any hoarseness, coughing, difficulty in swallowing or change in voice?

3. Though it is too early to comment on the severity of the injury, medication such as anti-inflammatory agents, steroids, anti-reflux medication, antacids and mucaine gel may lessen the symptoms.

I hope that I have answered your query. If you have any further questions, I will be available to answer them.

Regards.

Follow-up: Felt choking during sex. Feel like knot in adam's apple. Feel tired and gerd. Possible to overcome? 9 minutes later
My voice is hoarse and i feel tired but its allergy season and i could potentially be conflating problems. Would rather make an appointment with my physician for later in the week than go to the ER, and i just wanted to see if there are any signs to look for that should put me on high alert,
Or if any ER type emergency would have already happene by now. Thanks very much .

Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 6 minutes later

Thank you for writing back.

1. Any suspicion of trauma to the airway or food pipe should justify a visit to the ER.

2. If you do not want to visit an ER, at least get the physician appointment early.

3. There are many signs to watch out for. These include increasing hoarseness, difficulty in swallowing or breathing, increasing pain, discomfort, swelling, discoloration, coughing, loss of voice, regurgitation of food and so on.

Regards.