Felt ball in throat after vomiting. Hurts to swallow. What could this be?

ENT Specialist
I'm sick with vommitting. After the first time I vommitted, I felt like I had a ball in my throat that hurts really bad when I swallow. I'm wondering what that might be? What can I do for it!
Posted Tue, 14 May 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Naveen Kumar 1 hour later

Thanks for posting the query

The symptoms of ball in the throat following vomiting is due to inflammation of the mucosa secondary to the flow of the acidic contents from the stomach into the throat. The acid being of a high concentration, burns the mucosa of the throat inducing inflammation and swelling at that site.

Secondly, due to sudden contraction of the musculature of the esophagus and the throat while vomiting, causes damage to the mucosa, thus adding on to assault and worsening of the symptoms.

My suggestions to you are:
1. Drink plenty of warm water. Warm water reduces the inflammation of the throat thus reducing the symptoms.
2. An antiemetic such as domperidone is beneficial in controlling vomiting.
3. Avoid hot or chilled food and beverages and coffee.

If the symptoms do not subside after a couple of days, consult a good ENT specialist for a complete evaluation of the throat.

Hope this answers your query; I will be available for the follow up queries.

Dr. Naveen Kumar N.
ENT and Head & Neck Surgeon