Felling of something stuck in throat or wind pipe for days. What could be the reason?

ENT Specialist
Question
I feel like I have something stuck in my throat been there for days and is making me gag. Originally thought it was my throat but now seems like my wide pipe it feels like it try to come back up still making me gag. ?
Posted Wed, 29 May 2013 in General Health

Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 2 hours later

Thank you for your query.

1. The best way to see the throat is to get a video laryngoscopy done. This is a very simple procedure.

2. The most common causes of the above mentioned symptoms are allergy, a foreign body, lymphoid hypertrophy, a post nasal drip, acid reflux and so on.

3. You should not take any medication till the throat examination is done.

4, Do you have any dysphagia (difficulty in swallwoing), breathlessness or any change in voice?

I hope that I have answered your queries. If you have any further questions, I will be available to answer them.

Regards.

Follow-up: Felling of something stuck in throat or wind pipe for days. What could be the reason? 4 minutes later
Don't really have trouble swallowing but is uncoffotable can feel something back there.

Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 9 minutes later

Thank you for writing back.

1. This foreign body sensation is common and can be easily sorted out with a simple throat examination and a videolaryngoscopy.

2. As mentioned above, there are many reasons for such a sensation and it is better to have this examination done as son as possible. It will settle the issue.

3. At your age, it is unlikely to be any serious cause. If you can upload any images or video of a videolaryngoscopy, I will be able to give you an accurate assessment.

Regards.

Follow-up: Felling of something stuck in throat or wind pipe for days. What could be the reason? 48 minutes later
Just went to urgent care they did an X-ray saw nothing, but they weren't sure if they would see anything said it was must likely irritation

Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 22 hours later

Thank you for writing back.

1. It is unlikely that x-rays would have picked up any tissue or foreign body that is radiolucent.

2. It will be better to get a direct examination (the videolaryngoscopy) done.

3. Any irritation would subside or reduce over a few days.

Regards.