Fell on the sidewalk, hand is swollen and hit eyebrows, applied ice on it. Suggest?

Apr 2013

General Surgeon
I fell on the sidewalk,my hand is swollen i applied ice all afternoon every 20 minutes.should I see my physician to morrow? I also hit my eyebrow lightly.dont have a headache
I am a 82 yrs old woman
Thank you.
Posted Sun, 1 Sep 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein 40 minutes later
Hi XXXXX and welcome to XXXXXXX thanks for the query.
I dont think it requires some special treatment xray examination if you can move it in all directions and there is are no some signs such as :intensive pain, tingling in fingers, loss of sensation or visible hand deformity. Swelling is to be expected and it should pull back in several days.just apply ice and keep your hand elevated.
Also,visit doctor if you have some bone disorders such as rheumathoid arhritis or osteoporosis or pain and swelling persist for more than 3-4 days.
Also, if you have headache,nausea,vomiting vison disorder or sleep disorders,you should go to hosptal as soon as you can.
Wish you good health. If you have any questions I ll be glad to help. Regards