Fell on knee and had swelling with black and blue marks on legs. Suggest?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
I fell on my knee. the knee was swollen then blood black and blue marks all down my leg
then my black and blue marks went down to my toes and my foot is now swellen

Like the blood ran down the inside of my leg to my toes
Posted Tue, 8 Oct 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 28 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Yes it is due to a bleeding.

Detailed Answer:
The black and blue marks are due to an XXXXXXX bleeding and the collection of the blood in the dependent parts. Since there has been a good amount of bleeding causing the swelling, a bone injury is likely.
You might benefit by consulting your orthopedician who can examine you , and order a Knee MRI to know the exact cause and provide the proper treatment for it.
Till then you can:

*Rest the knee. Avoid putting excess weight on your knee. You may need to use crutches for a time.

*Ice your knee to reduce pain and swelling. Do it for 20-30 minutes every 3-4 hours for 2-3 days, or until the pain and swelling is gone.

*Compress your knee. Use an elastic bandage, straps, or sleeves on your knee to control swelling.

*Elevate your knee on a pillow when you're sitting or lying down.

*Wear a knee brace to stabilize the knee and protect it from further injury.

*Take anti-inflammatory painkillers. Non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs), like Motrin to reduce pain and swelling.

I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.

Follow-up: Fell on knee and had swelling with black and blue marks on legs. Suggest? 15 hours later
I do not have insurance.
That is why I did not go to the doctors
It has been 2 1/2 weeks now with the swollen
The black and blue marks are going away

But I still have swollen ankle and foot
and the knee is hot

I can walk fine
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 8 hours later
Brief Answer:
Can be due to infection or haemarthrosis.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for writing again.
The swelling in the ankle and foot will subside with elevation.
the hot feeling in the knee is suggestive of an inflammation or infection or haemarthrosis. This needs a direct examination by an orthopedician for proper treatment.
Hope my answer is helpful.
If you do not have any clarifications, you can close the discussion and rate the answer. Wish you good health.