Fell on hip. Painful and discomfort in rotating hip. Can walk without pain. Treatment?

Jul 2013

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
I slipped and fell on wet tile today landed on back and left hip. It is painful to the touch and some discomfort when rotating hip. I can walk fine without pain; laying down initially and getting up are a little painful. Is it just a bruise and muscle strain or do I need to seek medical attention?

Posted Wed, 4 Sep 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. K. Naga Ravi Prasad 37 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Could be a soft tissue contusion

Detailed Answer:
Hi, thanks for writing to XXXXXXX

As you are able to walk normally, it implies that there is no bony injury (fracture).

Painful to touch and discomfort while rotating the hip indicates a muscle contusion or a hematoma. Either of these injuries are self limiting and heal spontaneously with time.

The general treatment guidelines are as follows -

* Rest to the injured part and avoid involving in activities which puts additional strain on the injured tissues.
* Ice packing should be applied for about 20 minutes once in every 2 hours.
* Moist heat fomentation over the injured area to relax the soft tissues
* Analgesic & anti inflammatory medications like Motrin or Aleve will help

If your symptoms are not resolving with the above measures, you may need to consult your treating doctor.

Hope I have addressed your query. I welcome any more clarifications