Fell on her right side from the bed. Cried and vomited. Complain of discomfort right shoulder. Prescribed Anaflam. Serious?

Excellent

Pediatrician
Question
2.3 year daughter fell on her right side from the bed while rolling. She cried and vomitted. Later she complain of dicomfort right shoulder. Anaflam syp doc giv
Posted Sun, 29 Sep 2013 in General Health

Answered by Dr. Rajiv K Khandelwal 2 hours later

Thank you for your query.

You need to worry in case she vomits again or there is a change in her behaviour. Keep a watch on the shoulder and in case there is a swelling or restriction of movements then expert opinion shall be required.

I hope I have answered your query to your satisfaction.

Wishing your daughter an early recovery.

Rajiv K Khandelwal
http://goo.gl/SuCjl

Follow-up: Fell on her right side from the bed. Cried and vomited. Complain of discomfort right shoulder. Prescribed Anaflam. Serious? 18 hours later
Dear Doctor

Thanks for your answer.

My daughter did not vomit after that but now after 24 hrs some swelling is visible near her collar zone of right shoulder. In the begining her right hand use was limited but now She is though using her right hand nicely but complains of pain when she swings the arm or puts more body weight on her hand. HerPediatrician told not to worry as the swelling will go on its own and observe her for next 2-3 days.

I am worrying so pls assure me whats the right thing in this

Answered by Dr. Rajiv K Khandelwal 31 hours later
Brief Answer:
Wait and watch; Do not worry

Detailed Answer:

Thank you for the update.

As mentioned by you that there is no restriction in movement and her pediatrician has examined her, observing her for the next 2-3 days would be the ideal course of action. Swelling will subside gradually and there should not be anything to worry about.

I hope I have assured you to your satisfaction.

Wishing your daughter all the best.

Rajiv Khandelwal

Follow-up: Fell on her right side from the bed. Cried and vomited. Complain of discomfort right shoulder. Prescribed Anaflam. Serious? 2 days later
Dear Doctor

Thanks for your reply. It came in late but is assuring.

Meantime i got the X XXXXXXX done for my satisfaction. Pls find attached its report for your review

Thanks.
XXXXX

Answered by Dr. Rajiv K Khandelwal 22 minutes later
Brief Answer:
X-ray is normal

Detailed Answer:

Thank you for your post.

The x-ray report is reassuring and there is no evident bony injury. Hence in my opinion you need not worry.

With best wishes,

Rajiv Khandelwal

Follow-up: Fell on her right side from the bed. Cried and vomited. Complain of discomfort right shoulder. Prescribed Anaflam. Serious? 9 minutes later
Dear Doctor

Thanks for the reviewing the X-ray report and reassuring.

Her hand movements have become 80 % close to her earlier way and she is not complaining like before of any pain or discomfort.

I can ssee a mild swelling still the area even after 4 days. When will the area be completely normal and do i need to redo the X XXXXXXX anytime in future for reassurance?

Thanks.
XXXXX

Answered by Dr. Rajiv K Khandelwal 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
No soft tissue swelling seen in x-ray

Detailed Answer:
Hi XXXXX,

Thank you for the post.

The x-ray report does not mention any soft tissue swelling and hence it is not possible for me to comment on the swelling and how long it shall take to subside. As there is limitation of movement I would suggest that you show your daughter to an orthopaedic surgeon who shall assess her shoulder and guide you accordingly.

I hope I have clarified your concerns.

Wishing your daughter all the best.

Rajiv Khandelwal