Fell on eyebrow, had stitches removed. Have bumps on corer of brow and slight swelling. Treatment?

General Surgeon
Fell on my eyebrow one month ago had 6 stitches removed , now have bumps ( feels like tissue) from 2 sutures on corner of brow and slight swelling on whole brow, when does this go away and can I massage bumpy tissue after applying hot pack .?
Posted Wed, 7 Aug 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 1 hour later

Thank you for the query.

Stitches are generally not a natural thing in the human body. Longer it stays in the skin, more irritation of the tissues it causes and more visible scar will be. This bumps are most likely scar tissue caused by stitches.
Please note that it takes 3 month for the primary scar tissue to become created and 1 year for final scar tissue. Till that time, scar can be red, quite visible and can change the shape.

If you start messing up with the scar to early, it can make your scar more visible and larger. It is because the scar creation process is not completed.

If you have started applying hot pack some time before, this could cause swelling and redness in the scar area.

I suggest you to stop applying hot pack, it does not help at all. Please leave your scar alone until the swelling wontl go away (it should take a week or so). After that time, you should try Mederma Gel for scars. Massage is also a good idea, but after the swelling will go away.

Hope this will help. Feel free to ask further questions.
Follow-up: Fell on eyebrow, had stitches removed. Have bumps on corer of brow and slight swelling. Treatment? 3 days later
do you recommend cold pack or just leave it alone, i bought Maderma, its been a month now when does swelling usually go down?
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 12 hours later
I suggest you to leave it alone. Its just a slight swelling or painful, swelled and reddish area? If there is a pain and swelling with red skin around it, an infection is possible, however usually it appears few days after stitching the wound.
Slight swelling can be present few weeks. After that time it should go away.
If it is swelling of the scar only, not surrounding tissues, it can be like that for a month or two (its a part of scar creation process).

Can you please attach a photo of this scar so I can give more accurate answer?

Hope this will help.