Fell on back, followed with chills & frequent urination, lower back pain, elevated protein in urine. Injury to kidney?

I slipped and fell on my back last night and I think I may have traumatized my kidney or something else...I saw a nurse practitioner today who told me I had elevated protein in my urine, but no blood. She said because I did not have any visible bruises or hadn't experience dizziness I should take ibuprofen for my pain in my lower back, flank and abdomen and overall malaise. I got the chills immediately following the fall and have had them on and off all day. I also have been experiencing frequent urination. Should I be more concerned that the nurse?
Posted Sat, 14 Apr 2012 in Kidney Conditions
Answered by Dr. Rakesh Madhyastha 16 minutes later

Thanks for the query

I would like to clear it right away that all XXXXXXX organs are covered well with good amount of insulation and a minor fall or tauma will not cause it harm so easily

The protein in urine need not be related to the injury to the kidney but could be because of muscle injury.
I would like you to XXXXXXX a general surgeon. He would like you to get an ultra sound abdomen done to visualize kidneys and also a serum creatinine done.
It is also wise to repeat the urine test after a week

Some of the common causes for protein in urine are

1. Infection of the kidneys
2. Hypertensive nephropathy
3. Diabetic nephropathy
4. Chronic renal failure

I hope I have answered your query, if there are no follow up query please accept my answer

I wish you good health

Follow-up: Fell on back, followed with chills & frequent urination, lower back pain, elevated protein in urine. Injury to kidney? 4 hours later
Since I saw the nurse today (who didn't look below my my pant's waistband) and since I originally wrote you I noticed that my lower back between my hip bones is all bruised. The urine frequency started today. Before my fall last night I didn't have any symptoms. I don't believe I have any of the conditions for elevated protein that you listed. Why did you recommend I see a surgeon?
Answered by Dr. Rakesh Madhyastha 25 minutes later
Thanks for reverting to me.

The bruising is not related to the increased frequency that you are experiencing. The increased frequency could be due to excessive anxiety or could be suggestive of an infection. Since, an urine exam has already been done for you, it is related to excessive anxiety in all probability.

I recommend you see a physician rather than a surgeon for this. He will look into what might have caused the protein in urine, if at all there is a surgical intervention required he will ask for it.

The kidney as such is protected by a large amount of fat and you don't need to worry about having injured the kidney.

I hope I have answered your query. Please accept my answer, if there are no further queries.

I wish you a speedy recovery