Fell on a stair on lumbar region and now have a cynovial cyst. Treatment?

Nov 2013

I fell on a stair on my lumbar region and now have a cynovial cyst. How likely is it that the cynovial cyst was caused by the fall.? I had no back pain prior to the fall.
Posted Tue, 10 Sep 2013 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 10 hours later
Brief Answer:
Synovial cyst may be partly due to the fall.

Detailed Answer:

Thank you for posting your query.

Synovial cyst commonly occurs due to wear and tear and normal degeneration as age increases. So, it often occurs in people without any history of fall or trauma.

Fall may lead to other problems such as disc prolapse, fracture of bones in the lumbar region, etc.

However, the fall may increase the size of synovial cyst which was already there.

I hope it helps. Please get back if you have any more queries.

Best wishes,
Dr Sudhir Kumar Md DM (Neurology) XXXXXXX Consultant Neurologist