Fell off horse and landed on right side hip and shoulder. Pain in groin and limping. Taking advil and using crutches. Could I ask a doctor?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
I am 55 yr woman, 5'7 190lbs. I fell off my horse yesterday and landed on my right side hip and shoulder. The pain in my groin and deep inside of my upper leg caused me to initially limp but when I sat down to drive I could not lift my foot to the brake pedal. My friend drove me home and I was in sever pain and could not bear weight on that leg at all. Taking advil 800 mg every 4 hours has helped quite a bit. That provided some relief but I still cannot bear weight on my foot today and am using crutches to get around. I am considering trying to get an xray tomorrow but maybe an MRI would be more appropriate?? should I try to see an orthopedic Dr or start with GP?
Posted Thu, 31 Oct 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 8 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Likely to be a bone injury.

Detailed Answer:
You have sustained an injury to your hip joint- it can be a fracture or a ligament tear or a labral tear.
You need to consult an orthopedician for a physical examination and investigations like X-ray and MRI. X-rays are very sensitive for picking up any fracture and MRI is one of the best tests for ruling out and identifying cold compresses on the area by wrapping ice in a towel and take some anti inflammatory pain killers like Ibuprofen or Tylenol after prescription from your doctor. You can also apply flexall to the area. You can also follow certain lifestyle measures which can help you with this pain. These include:

1) Give complete rest to the affected part.
2) Avoid bearing weight on the limb(standing, walking, etc.)

I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
Follow-up: Fell off horse and landed on right side hip and shoulder. Pain in groin and limping. Taking advil and using crutches. Could I ask a doctor? 11 hours later
Hi and thank you for your answer.
I am able to apply slightly more pressure on my foot as I walk with crutches this morning. I cannot bear all my weight on it though. My friend says because of this it is probably not broken. Would you agree with that?
I have torn ligaments in both of my ankles in the past and all the Dr did was cast them. So if it is a flexall... can I get it at the drug store?
Thank you!
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 8 hours later
Brief Answer:
An evaluation by orthopedician is recommended.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for writing again.
If you can put some weight on the foot then a bone injury is less likely. A ligament tear needs to be ruled out as surgical repair may be needed for full recovery. Conservative treatment with cast helps only in small and partial thickness tears.
Flexall is available over the counter at pharmacies. This will help in relaxing the muscle spasm in the area and may help in reducing the pain.
Hope my answer is helpful.
If you do not have any clarifications, you can close the discussion and rate the answer. Wish you good health.