Fell off a horse and hit the left flank. The area is swollen and numb. What should I do?

Feb 2014

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
Hi. I'm a 45 year old woman and last night I took a spill from a horse. Landed on my left flank/buttock mostly. It was in an arena, so soft(ish) dirt. I'm able to walk (stiff when I first get up, etc) with some stiffness and the area is sore/stiff but also swollen and numb. I am 5'7" and 175 lbs, so I've got some padding. I've taken Ibuprofen and iced it a few times. Just wondering if there is anything I should be watching for and subsequently seek treatment. I somehow picked the wrong specialty... guess it should be orthopedics?
Posted Sat, 2 Nov 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 52 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Give proper rest to the part.

Detailed Answer:
As you are able to walk it seems to be bony injury.
You should also keep watch for any development of temperature or tenderness (pain on touch) over swelling. If it occurs, then you need to consult your doctor for thorough examination to rule out any infection.

Hope this helps you. Let me know if you have any more concern.