Fell from stepladder on buttocks. Having fever and lower back is a little sore. Treatment?

Jul 2013

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
my husband fell from a 6ft. stepladder on his buttocks in early evening. Now he seems to be running a fever. His lower back, to either side of his spine is a little sore-but not 'on' the spine.
Posted Fri, 6 Sep 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. K. Naga Ravi Prasad 41 minutes later
Brief Answer:
He could have sustained soft tissue contusion.

Detailed Answer:
Hi, thanks for writing to XXXXXXX

The given symptoms in the description suggests a Lumbosacral strain involving the para vertebral muscles due to fall. An xray of the involved spine is necessary to rule out any fracture of the vertebral elements.

Usually this strain is self limiting and resolves spontaneously with the following measures -

* Rest to the injured part and don’t involve in activities which puts additional strain on the injured tissues.
* Ice packing should be applied for about 20 minutes once in every 2 hours.
* Moist heat fomentation of the affected muscles to relax the taut muscles
* Once the acute pain subsides, Physiotherapy of the back muscles is started to stretch and strengthen them
* Analgesic & Muscle relaxant medications and pain killer gel massage over the involved area

Fever may be attributed to the local soft tissue injury which releases endogenous pyrogens. Acetaminophen will be effective in controlling it.

If your symptoms are not resolving with the above measures, you need an orthopedic surgeons consultation.

Hope I have addressed your query. I welcome any more clarifications