Fell from stairs and landed on lower back. Feels sore, having headache and nausea. What to do?

I fell on my stairs and landed on my lower back right side on the edge of the step. Now it's so sore I can even stand a blanket on it and I woke up nauseous and with a headache.
Posted Sun, 18 Aug 2013 in Back Pain
Answered by Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar 15 minutes later

It is not clear when did this incident took place? Did you lose consciousness? Are you able to walk and pass urine and / or stool? Do you see blood in the urine?

If you lose conscious or unable to walk or had seen blood in the urine there seems an XXXXXXX injury you should better get evaluated at the emergency.

If not you can put ice packing over the sore muscle. It is considered a muscle injury. Rest on the bed on the non painful side and eat a pain killer like MOTRIN up to 800mg, thrice a day. You can take Tab PRILOSEC OTC along with it as it can protect stomach irritation because of Motrin. You should be fine in couple of days.

Let me know if you have more details or queries

Follow-up: Fell from stairs and landed on lower back. Feels sore, having headache and nausea. What to do? 1 minute later
It occurred about ten hours ago and I didn't hit my head or lose consciousness. I can walk just really sore and there has been no trace of blood in my urine.
Answered by Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar 11 minutes later
Good you have a minor injury to the muscle. Do as I said in my last mail. Rest, Ice compression and pain reliever.

All the best.