Ask a Urologist   »  

Fell from stairs and injured entire back, arms and legs. Mid back hurts constantly and stomach is extended out. What could it be?

Pain Medicine & Palliative Care Specialist
I fell down a flight of stairs 3 weeks ago. I injured my entire back, arms, legs, etc. My mid back hurts constantly and my stomach is extended out. It's somewhat hard to breath. could I have kidney injury?
Posted Thu, 29 Aug 2013 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Answered by Dr. Kerry Pottinger 23 minutes later
Thank you for using Healthcare Magic.
I appears you took a significant impact with the fall.
It is possible that you suffered severe bruising to your spine and this is still causing pain. The muscles around the lower back and spine may be in spasm which can produce a constant sharp pain and affect the shape of your back while you are in pain.
Your kidneys could have taken some of the impact. However I think this is less likely. Signs of a kidney injury would be blood in your urine.
I my opinion your pains reflect a back injury with muscle spasms.
I hope this has been of help. I you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to contact me.
Dr K A Pottinger