Fell from stairs. Little finger got a part from palm. Can it be rejoined?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Hi Doctor,
My son fell down from stair case and his left hand little finger completely got a part fro the palm from the base where finger joint, please let me know if the finger can be re-joined,

Incident happened on 20-july-2013 at 21.00 hours

Posted Wed, 14 Aug 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Mukesh Tiwari 23 minutes later

I have read your query with diligence.It looks that little finger of your son has injured & separated after trauma from base. If this finger is taken by putting it in a ice back to a plastic surgeon then this can be realigned. But this should be done with in 2 hours. If not it cannot be salvaged.

If you are very much concerned about this lost finger then you may consult to a plastic surgeon. There are some methods in plastic surgery where they can give finger which works like little finger.

Hope this all will help you.

With best wishes.
Follow-up: Fell from stairs. Little finger got a part from palm. Can it be rejoined? 17 minutes later
Hi Doctor,

The finger was taken to KEM hospital withing an hour and was referred to plastic surgery department where the doctor said as the finger is crash it cannot be re-allocated.
Answered by Dr. Mukesh Tiwari 1 hour later
Yes,That is right ,If finger is severely crushed then this can not be implanted due to crushing of vessels & nerves.In such cases it is better to use finger prosthesis after complete recovery.You may ask about this from your doctor.These prosthesis can only be useful when there is some remanent part at base.

Hope this will help you.