Fell from stairs. Have bruise. Woke up dizzy. Have cold and running nose. What to do?

I fell down the stairs backwards 3 weeks ago. I had a bruised shoulder and left leg. I did not go to a doctor. I am 56, female, with no medications. I have woke up dizzy the last three mornings. It subsides in 3-5 seconds but now it is whenever I lay down and move to sitting position not just upon waking. I did have a cold, running nose a week ago and took OTC medicine. I do not have any headaches or eye sight issues. Only the dizziness.
Posted Sat, 9 Nov 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Basheer Ahamed 44 minutes later
Brief Answer:
You may need evaluation.

Detailed Answer:

A fall of this nature is likely to cause head injury.

The extended of the injury may vary from cerebral contusions, hemorrhage to concussion.

Persistent dizziness is very significant and you may need CT/MRI scan of the brain to arrive at a diagnosis.

But there is another important symptom. This happens only while standing upon from lying or sitting position. This is called Orthostatic hypotension. This may be due to trauma or hypertension. Check your blood pressure.

Hope the answer helps you.