Fell from platform on right side. Broken bones and experiencing pain and cramping in upper thigh. Suggest the cure?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Fell off a platform, landed on my right side. No apparent broken bones but experiencing severe pain and cramping in upper right thigh. Cannot bend or squat without excruciating pain
Posted Fri, 25 Oct 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Seems to be a soft tissue injury.

Detailed Answer:
The severe pain and cramping in the upper thigh is likely to be due to a soft tissue and muscular injury causing the muscle spasms.
If there is no excruciating pain on weight bearing on the foot and there is not much swelling in the area then a bone injury is not likely.
Such injuries can cause significant pain, swelling and bruising but if the pain and swelling does not start receding after 24 to 48 hrs, then you need to consider visiting your doctor for a proper assessment.

In the meantime you can practice what is called R.I.C.E. This stands for rest, icing the area of injury, compression-use a bandage to reduce the swelling and elevation- elevation of the affected are reduces the swelling and may also have a positive impact on the pain.
Take mild pain killers like acetaminophen or ibuprofen. Stronger prescription NSAIDS with muscle relaxants may help if simple analgesics do not help.

I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.