Fell down stairs, bruising around eye. Have fatigue and nausea. Is there anything I should be concerned about?

I fell down some stairs 40 some hours ago and bruised just under and around my eye. I felt very tired this afternoon and a little nausea now. Is there anything I should be concerned about?
Posted Tue, 22 May 2012 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Shiva Kumar R 8 hours later

Thanks for the query

From the clinical details provided to me it looks to me like you have a post traumatic black eye. Black eye also called as periorbital hematoma is due to bleeding beneath the skin around the eye indicating injury to the face.

Although most black eye injuries aren't serious, sometimes there is a possibility of injury to the eyeball itself sufficient to cause bleeding inside the eye. For this reason, it's advisable to have an eye specialist examine your eyeball if there has been enough of an injury to cause a black eye.

Rarely black eye indicates a more extensive injury, even a skull fracture, particularly if the area around both eyes is bruised (raccoon eyes). Nausea in some one who has a recent injury needs evaluation to exclude skull fractures and XXXXXXX bleed due to injury to the blood vessels of the brain.

So I personally advise you to see your GP as early as possible to exclude XXXXXXX injuries of the brain.

I hope this information has been both informative and helpful for you. In case of any doubt, I will be available for follow ups.

Wish you good health.

Dr Shiva Kumar R
Consultant Neurologist & Epileptologist