Fell down on upper back. Started getting breathing difficulty. Could it be pulled muscle?

General Surgeon
I FELL ,ON MY UPPER BACK 7 DAYS AGO, YESTERDAY IT HURTS TO BREATH XXXXXXX SNEEZE, SNIFF WORSE TODAY, PULLED MUSCLE? WHY SO LONG FOR PAIN TO START? COINCEDENCE? i started remicade infusion in dec for ulcerative colitis, this new pain is very high, scapula bottom down. about the size of a large hand, but it feels like a muscle, hurt to move.
Posted Fri, 22 Feb 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 32 minutes later

Thank you for the query.

Very often after such trauma fractures might appear. And as the thorax is very stable structure, minor fractures can be left unknown or can be thought to be something like strained muscle. That is why, it is advisable at your case to have chest x-ray, scapula x-ray and ribs x-ray. If it is only broken rib there is nothing more you should do with it. However if it is scapula fracture or there is an air in the thorax cavity (pneumothorax) it might need further actions.
7 days is way to long for muscle to hurt.

Hope this will help. Feel free to ask further questions.
Follow-up: Fell down on upper back. Started getting breathing difficulty. Could it be pulled muscle? 5 days later
I went to the ER because the pain got worse, they did lab ekg catscan of chest; chest xray, told me i had pluerisy, unrelated to the fall......?????????? The pain was exactly where I FELL. ANTIBIOTICS, AND PAIN GONG AWAY.
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 5 hours later

It is obvious that the chest trauma can indicate pleura inflammation. Usually the fluid appears inside the pleural cavity. Antibiotics are very good choice. If you feel it is improving, just go on with antibiotics. Probably you wont need any other treatment.

Hope this will help.