Fell down on tailbone. Started getting sharp pain and hurts to sneeze or pee. Any suggestion?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Question
3 days ago i went skateing and i had fallen on a skate wheel on my tailbone and i can not stand upright..or bend over to sit on potty i can not sit right ways only to sit sideways. sharp pains thurout the buttocls area..it even hurts to sneeze or pee.. ive been useing a heating pad and takeing over the counter pain relivers and nuthing seems to be helping me..anysuggestions?..
Posted Tue, 12 Mar 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints

Answered by Dr. Rajesh Gajwani 20 minutes later

Injury in the tailbone region, usually takes a long time to heal, approximately 2-3 months.
Ideally, I would suggest you to get x-ray sacrococcygeal region, AP lateral. If the x-ray shows some problem, then you must visit an orthopedic surgeon. If the x-ray is fine and does not show any fracture or obvious trauma then you may continue the following:
- use the heating pad regularly,
- sit on soft foams/pillows,
- avoid jerks such as riding a bike/bus,
- avoid pressure in the region until the pain recedes completely
- take painkillers SOS

If the pain does not ease after 15 days, then you must visit the specialist for a thorough examination.
Hope you feel better soon.