Fell down on lower leg. Facing difficulty to stand and walk with tinging sensation. Home remedy?

Stinging XXXXXXX pain after a forward fall onto lower leg; also a scraped knee. I can stand and walk without much difficulty, but the stinging sensation that occurs is right over the XXXXXXX area. It is somewhat swollen 24 hours later. How can I proceed with home treatment?
Posted Thu, 25 Apr 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 55 minutes later
HI, thanks for using healthcare magic

The swelling is part of the body's inflammatory response. This response occurs as a result of any trauma whether it is minor or major. It results in the release of chemicals into the blood stream that cause fluid to move out of the cells of the body into the surrounding tissues.
This movement of fluid results in the swelling that you see.

Since it is an inflammatory response , the use of anti inflammatory methods would be helpful.
This would involve(1) the use of ice compress on the area- this reduces swelling by causing the blood vessels to constrict
(2) if you have topical analgesics such as icy hot, capsaicin, bengay for example you can use these
(3) you can also use oral analgesics such as NSAIDS which are anti inflammatory. These would include products such as ibuprofen, these should be taken on full stomach.

I hope this helps, feel free to ask any other questions
Follow-up: Fell down on lower leg. Facing difficulty to stand and walk with tinging sensation. Home remedy? 23 hours later
Yes, I was aware of why I had swelling, bruising...I immediately did treat with ice, elevation, and Advil. My question remains, why is pain of an intense stinging nature. I am assuming nerve involvement??? What is the best treatment for injury involving nerves???
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 1 hour later

It is unlikely that you experienced any nerve injury. Though nerves exist at different levels in the body and some are responsible for superficial sensation, to cause significant damage to the nerves requires a more traumatic event.
It would require an wide open lesion and does not usually occur with an abrasion.
Blunt trauma , like you experienced can jarr the muscles, other soft tissue and nerves but not permanently.

The stinging sensation that you are experiencing is as a result of soft tissue injury the above areas would have sustained, it is not likely to result in any permanent deficit and will resolve within 1 week to 10 days after your fall.
Neurpraxia is the most common form of nerve injury,it resolves spontaneously. There is no problem with the structure of the nerve just an issue with the conduction of impulses.

I appreciate that it may be uncomfortable but it will resolve,it will just take a few days.

There is no acute management for that particular symptom, it is normally treated with observation and watch waiting. Nerve damage, if it does occur tends to repair itself unless the nerve is cut and requires surgical suturing.

The use of the topical agents mentioned may help relieve this temporary discomfort