Fell down on left-side and buttock. Noticed hard lump on lower portion. What are the risks?

Excellent

Pulmonologist
Question
Approximately one month ago, I fell on a concrete surface on my left-side and buttock. Since then, I have had a hard lump on the lower portion of my left buttock that I can feel when I sit down. There is no noticeable pain, just a general discomfort until I sit at a different angle. Is this something to be concerned about?
Posted Sun, 19 Aug 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints

Answered by Dr. Arnab Maji 1 hour later

A hard lump was there in your lower portion of left buttock following a fall.

You are a known diabetic and hypertensive.

It will be helpful to me if you kindly answer my following query:

1. Was your diabetes controlled?
2. Which medications or insulin you are taking for your diabetes?
3. What’s the value of your recent fasting blood sugar and post-prandial blood sugar?

As per your history I think probably there is an old haematoma that present to you as a hard lump. It may be a sign for your uncontrolled diabetes.

You had no limp, no pain. So in all probability it is not a case of hip dislocation. Although it’s better to go at least for digital x-ray of both hip joints because dislocation rarely may be asymptomatic.

If it’s not a dislocation then need not to worry. If that swelling is not causing much problem to you then you may leave it alone or may undergo surgical resection after consulting a surgeon.

I think my advice will be of help to you.

If you have further queries you may ask me.

Wish you good health and quick recovery.

Dr. Arnab Maji

Follow-up: Fell down on left-side and buttock. Noticed hard lump on lower portion. What are the risks? 5 hours later
Yes, my diabetes is controlled - I am on 2000 mg of metformin per day, my last A1C was 6.8.

Answered by Dr. Arnab Maji 1 hour later

Thanks again for your reply.

It's good to know that sugars are in control.

So please do the x-ray and exclude posterior dislocation of hip. If no dislocation is found absent then most probably it is an old haematoma and that also would not need any treatment if you are asymptomatic.

Hope this answers your query. You can ask me if you have further queries on this issue.
If all your queries are answered, please close this discussion.

Dr. Arnab Maji